10/04/2009

Helene's Quilt

A friend of mine was facing a new cancer diagnosis, and a daunting treatment series.  I decided she needed a "love quilt" (something to snuggle in and take to treatments with her).

I picked some yummy "chocolate" fabric for the border (I don't know why, but a lot of my quilts get built "border first"!).

I think it was a Hoffman print.  I don't have any left for reference!

I did simple pieced hearts in a variety of reds, and set the blocks Irish-chain style with brown polka-dot blocks. The white background of the blocks has a faint tone-on-tone pattern to it.

(That is Merlin the cat, admiring the quilt top in progress).

The thin inner border was a marbled red.

Since time was of the essence, this one was machine quilted in the ditch, with looping hearts in the border.  The backing was a tone-on-tone swirled red.

She loved it!  (And she is now in remissions, doing really well!)

No comments:

Post a Comment