10/06/2009

A Little Wall Hanging from the Past ... Winking Kitties

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE applique, cats, and original quilt patterns, so this one was PERFECT!  (Or, should I say ... PUUUUUR-fect?)


WeeDD needed a quick charity donation for a silent-auction basket with a cat theme  (it was a fundraiser for her elementary school). 


I drew out the simple, rounded cat shapes (it is basically my cat Earl's shape, minus the long grey hair!).  I wanted the tails dimensional, and used buttons for eyes for a little more interest.  The whiskers (or "whisters" as WeeDD used to say) are embroidered on with 2 strands of black embroidery thread.


There is one cat with his eyes closed, one with his left eye closed, one with his right eye closed, and one with both eyes open.  I also (intentionally!) did not make all the tails face the same way.





The block background fabric is fishy-skeletons (those must have been HUNGRY kitties ...) ...


The border fabric is BRIGHT green and pink (brighter than my pictures came out -- sort of a bright spring green and hot pink.  The first picure is truer to color, at least on my computer monitor ...), and the backing is some BRIGHT cat fabric I had around.


I added a little handmade label ...


It is in-the-ditch machine quilted, with wavy quilting in the borders, and has a wee bright gold binding.


Start to finish (design to done) "Winking Kitties" took one weekend.  Whew!  Made that deadline!


This is a pattern that I may work up for sale or download ... some day ...

No comments:

Post a Comment