10/02/2009

Starry Baby Quilt

I made this little quilt for a co-worker's new baby boy.  I did not really have a pattern, I just enlarged one block to HUGE size!  This is 40" x 40".  I love "one block" baby quilts, because you can use larger prints and the fabrics really pop.




The design flowed around the border "star" fabric (a beautiful Hoffman print from several years ago).  I bought a BOLT of it, and used every scrap of it in one quilt or another.  I have one 3" piece left.



I free-form drew the little star in the center, then hand appliqued and embroidered him.







The corners have the nursery rhyme, "Star light, star bright, first star I see tonight, I wish I may, I wish I might, have the wish I wish tonight."



I hand lettered the corner blocks using a pigma pen.  You can see the border fabric better in this picture, too.







I used a star design to hand quilt this little quilt.  I traced a star cookie cutter onto label stock, then used the sticky star to quilt around.  Easy!



















I channel quilted around the center star, and outlined quilted the other triangles.



It was fun to hand quilt this, and it made we wonder why I do not hand quilt more of my quilts!















(in the last photo, you can see the groovy blue, swirly backing I used.  These fabrics were such fun!



Happy Quilting!



Hugs, MammaO (in VA)

No comments:

Post a Comment